hatches, lockers and cockpit seats

Nearly finished installing the seats, benches and bunks.

Assuming that I would be more likely to make mistakes at the beginning of this stage I started in the v-berth and worked my way aft to the cockpit. I found cutting the ply for these pieces to get a nice fit against the curved hull and between the various members to be a bit fussy. My limited carpentry skills tend to become evident when I stray beyond right angles. I was however pleased to note that by flipping a piece from one side of the boat I was able to use it as a template for the opposite side (with some adjustments). It would seem she’s relatively uniform.

Folks on the bateau2.com builder’s forum gave me some good ideas for designs of latching hatches below decks.
hatch in starboard bench

I also ordered a couple of watertight locking hatches to be installed in the cockpit seats. With the cockpit sole installed I have been able to get a good idea how enormous the storage area is beneath the seats in the cockpit. Nearly sufficient space to relocate the quarters of any crewmember who finds my badside. ;-)

1. Steve Scalia says:

August 2, 2005 at 8:47 am

Andrew, what are the demintions of your hatch?

August 2, 2005 at 6:13 pm

Good question, Steve. I’ll have to measure to say with absoulte certainty but maybe 16″x20″ for the hatch in the photo above. The THMarines are the 13″x24″ locking model (the locking have two “pull rings” as opposed to the single ring depicted in the link).

I’m hoping to get an evening in tomorrow or Thursday and will get you a more accurate measurment…

August 3, 2005 at 11:15 pm

Well I was close. 15″x19″. 14″x17″ really, due to the ‘lip’.

4. Steve Scalia says:

August 5, 2005 at 9:39 am

Well I guess that make the whole bunk under five feet long before extending under the cockpit. Don’t think I can safely stretch the cabin area two feet to give me a seven foot cabin. Maybe the VG25?

August 5, 2005 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, I’d think you’d be maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of a foot shy… Very difficult to tell but do ya think the VG25’s cabin is 7? It can’t be much more.

6. Steve Scalia says:

August 6, 2005 at 12:50 pm

I remember the Designer responding to a post that the interior was 6 or 6.5 feet long and that the whole bunk is 8.5. I just knew that could not be true. Seems like you should be able to have a 7 foot cockpit, 7 foot cabin and 1.5 foot mast support area, with the remainder for the V berth. The cockpit must be almost 9 feet.

What I really want is as close to a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 as I can get without spending $81,000.00. Seems like it should be possible. The VG23 is just a foot shorter and the beam is almost the same.

August 6, 2005 at 6:31 pm

Having one of my dense moments. The Dana 24 specs contains says:
    MAIN SALON
    6’ 6” long settee berths,

Is this what you’re comparing? Sounds pretty durned close to what Jacques described for the VG23 in that post you refer to.

8. Steve Scalia says:

August 6, 2005 at 9:13 pm

Yes that’s true but the Galley is in the aft cabin and the bunks extend under the “V” berth to get that distance. I would put the Galley aft only “28″ on the port side and extend the bunk into the Mast Support area to get the length needed. The starboard side aft would just have a 12″ storage area. It still might be possible but I think it’s going to cost me $275.00 to find out.

I would like to spend a few days a week onboard berthing a night at a marina in Maryland off the bay. The cabin is very inportant to me. The cockpit is not that important as I will probably be sailing by myself most of the time. Wife hates the water.

August 8, 2005 at 8:41 am

I see what you’re talking about. Phew, that’s one swanky interior on the Dana.

I’m sure you’ve already considered this but my concern with your proposed layout would be reducing the members which support the mast and centerboard box. I wonder if you present your ideas to JM in a sort of “would you accept these mods” type scenario. With a yes / no answer to that you could perhaps feel more confident in purchasing the plans. Just a thought.

‘Course the VG25 may make all this mute. I suspect that’s what I’d be building now had the plans been available when I began…

Good luck.

10. DinoYPerkins says:

August 29, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Howdy I am so delighted I found your webpage, I really found you by error, while I was searching on Aol for
    something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to
    say thanks for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to go through it all at the moment but
    I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb work.