rmd gold build

To mark yesterdays announcement of Firefox 1.5 I thought I’d release a 1.0 of the Remember Mismatch Domains extension. This version of rmd has no major changes but I did tidy a few things up.

I think this also provides me a good opportunity to suggest that the Mozilla folks include something similar to the functionality that the rmd extension provides in future versions of their tools. As happy as I am to continue supporting rmd it seems obvious to me that not having to continuously accept the domain mismatch warning (expired certificates too) is something users want by default. I haven’t been keeping track of downloads of the extension but Googles for it are consistently at the top of the search referals to this site. I also noticed earlier this week that the bug has been open for nearly two years and the issue has been debated ad nauseam. To me that means the current (default) functionality is broken and should be addressed.

In the meantime, here’s a quick recap of the extension along with install directions:

What is Remember Mismatched Domains?
The Remember Mismatched Domains extension for Firefox and Thunderbird adds a “Don’t warn me again about this certificate for this domain’ checkbox to the Domain Mismatch and Expired Certificate warning windows. When selected the domain name and security certificate domain pair (or certificate and expiration date pair) is stored in a Firefox / Thunderbird preference and the security error dialogue will be bypassed on subsequent visits.

How do I install the extension?
If you want to install the extension in Thunderbird, you have to follow these steps:
1. In your default browser, right-click on the download link. Choose the “Save link to disk…” option and download the XPI install file into a directory of your choosing.
2. Open Mozilla Thunderbird and open the ‘Extensions’ dialog by going to the ‘Tools’ -> ‘Extensions’ menu.
3. On the Extension dialog, there’s a button named ‘Install’ in the lower left corner. Click on it and browse to the directory where you saved the remember-mismatch.xpi.
4. Choose the file you downloaded earlier on and click ‘OK’.

Firefox users left click on the link.

1. Dan says:

December 7, 2005 at 2:12 pm

This extension is exactly what I need for Thunderbird!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for me. Whenever I try to do anything that requires using plugin code (viewing plugin options/about or viewing the mismatched domain dialog) Thunderbird freezes.

It’s a standard 1.0.7 install and I’ve tried all the usual gubbins – clearing all other plugins, reinstalling, etc, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

December 8, 2005 at 5:21 pm

Looks like there’s a bug in 1.0 ;-(

For now I’ve disabled the link to the xpi and suggest that people install version 0.9.1.

I’ll post an entry on this once I remember my wordpress password (the downside of Firefox password managment).

3. wng_z3r0 says:

January 14, 2006 at 2:25 am

I have thunderbird set to check the mail server every 2 minutes, and thus the little message box used to popup about the mismatched domains. So I installed your extension and they were supressed. However, there is a problem. WHen using the minimize to tray extension, thunderbird will un-minimize itself every two minutes (even with the RMD extension turned on) There’s no msg box, but it just un-minimizes itself. Can this bug be fixed?

wng

January 15, 2006 at 6:25 pm

wng,

I’ve seen the issue – atleast partially. For me TB will be restored only the first time it checks for mail – subsequent visits won’t trigger the Domain Mismatch. This makes sense to me as the fact that the mismatch was accepted will persist throughout a session. If you get a chance could you drop me and line a describe your setup a little more… (alucking_AT_gmail.com)

I did look at this restore issue awhile ago when another user reported something similar but never did find a good solution… I’ll try to get some time to look a little deeper.

5. MicRae says:

February 2, 2006 at 4:17 am

Wow!
    Thanks so much for this extension. It works like a charm! Thank goodness I found it because the domain mismatch error was getting on my nerves!

6. Ben says:

February 9, 2006 at 8:56 am

Thank you so much! I can finally let Thunderbird recieve e-mails automatically, without having to confirm that the security certificate is valid.

7. Amelia says:

February 16, 2006 at 8:13 am

Great little extension here! However I’m having the same problem as wng. I have RMD 1.0.1 and minimize to try 0.0.1.2006013006. Thunderbird keeps popping up every 2 minutes when it checks for mail. I’ve exited TB and opened it again but it’s still happening.

February 16, 2006 at 4:36 pm

This restore issue is one I don’t have a good answer for.

I’m still confused as to why TB is giving some folks a domain mismatch error *each* time it checks for new messages. When I try to reproduce it, once I’ve accepted the mismatch TB will not ask me again until I’ve closed and relaunched it.

I’m open to suggestions… (you can email me if you prefer: alucking_AT_gmail.com)

9. Amelia says:

February 17, 2006 at 2:57 am

Well I don’t have a solution for why it produces a domain mismatch error each time, but I did find that a program called “Thunderbird-Tray” program at least manages to keep TB minimised. There might still be an issue with TB bringing focus back to itself if it’s maximised but in the background, though.

February 17, 2006 at 9:02 am

I’m glad you found a workaround (atleast partially).

This issue really is inherent to the way RMD does it’s job – a shortcoming for sure. As I said, I really wish I had an answer. Sorry.

11. JiggyWittit says:

March 6, 2006 at 2:49 am

Kewl blog you got goin on up here.
    Peace, JiggyWittit

12. μblog: engineering from the trenches » How to make your Firefox and Thunderbird experience better says:

April 27, 2006 at 8:55 pm

[...] Two helpful extensions that I have found lately are Adblock plus and domain mismatch remember. The adblock is self-explanatory and allows you to selectively block images as well as flash adverts. As for the thunderbird extension, it makes thunderbird remember that you don’t care about the domain and ssl cert mismatch on your server. [...]