rmd bug fix

Looks like one of the changes I made when cleaning up RMD for version 1.0 introduced a bug for some Thunderbird users. Thanks to Dan and Albert we’ve managed to track it down.

The link to the download should now be pointing to version 1.0.1.

edit – fixed bad link

1. Jeff Mann says:

December 24, 2005 at 12:22 pm

hi – this extension is great, just what i needed. thanks so much for making it!

2. thedeplorableword | Archive | Thunderbird, SSL and the case of the Mismatched Domains says:

January 4, 2006 at 10:20 pm

[...] Making your email secure in Thunderbird is as easy as checking “use SSL”, if however your server’s SSL certificate does not match your mail domain you have a slight issue. My mail comes from “example.com” but the certificate is for “examplehosting.com” it’s perfectly fine but yet Thuderbird will keep asking if it’s ok every time I get your mail. Today I found an extension that removes this irritation from my life forever, yay! What is Remember Mismatched Domains? The Remember Mismatched Domains extension for Firefox and Thunderbird adds a “Don’t warn me again about this certificate for this domain’ checkbox to the Domain Mismatch and Expired Certificate warning windows. When selected the domain name and security certificate domain pair (or certificate and expiration date pair) is stored in a Firefox / Thunderbird preference and the security error dialogue will be bypassed on subsequent visits. [...]

3. Ryan.Hardester.com » andrewlucking.com - andrew lucking - software developer, amateur boatbuilder, bon vivant says:

January 5, 2006 at 10:37 am

[...] andrewlucking.com – andrew lucking – software developer, amateur boatbuilder, bon vivant [...]

4. Steven’s weblog » Blog Archive » “Remember mismatched domains” extension for Thunderbird says:

January 8, 2006 at 8:52 pm

[...] Remember mismatched domains at andrewlucking.com browsers extension firefox internet software thunderbird utility [...]

5. Druid’s Tower of Whispers » Blog Archive » Mozilla Thunderbird Domain Name Mismatch - solution says:

January 27, 2006 at 3:41 am

[...] In one of my previous posts i was writing about very annoying Mozilla Thunderbird behavior regarding SSL certificates. Fortunately some guy has posted an link on the corresponding Bugzilla page for the solution. The solution is a great extension made by Andrew Lucking. It adds the ‘don’t warn me about this certificate in this domain’ checkbox and settings panel where we can control what certificates are overridden. It also allows to remember users choice for expired certs. What can i say – it is simply perfect. Thanks Andrew. Technorati Tags: email mozilla thunderbird [...]

6. Petr 'PePa' Pavel says:

January 30, 2006 at 3:29 am

Hi Andrew, thanks for this miraculous extension.
    Being concerned about security I’d like to ask you what happens when the server certificate changes – yet to another mismatching certificate. Does your extension show the error message again? How do I know a common lazy administrator’s invalid server certificate from attacker’s invalid server certificate?
    The correct behaviour should be (in my opinion) to store at least fingerprint of the original certificate and start showing mismatched certificate warnings after it changes.

Thanks
    Petr ‘PePa’ Pavel

January 30, 2006 at 10:04 am

Hi Petr,

You’re welcome. I’m glad you find it useful.

To answer your question, RMD stores the domain name and the security certificate domain as a pair in a user_pref. There is no “fingerprint” of the certificate stored. If some flavour of MITM attack is a concern for you you’ll want to examine the details of a certificate on each visit, in which case RMD will be of no use to you.

8. Nil Coronel says:

February 1, 2006 at 11:32 pm

Hi Andrew,

I’m a Seamonkey user. Any chance you’ll be adding Seamonkey / Mozilla Suite support to this extension?

February 2, 2006 at 12:02 pm

Hi Nil,

I’ll look into it. (I’m on the road this week so give me some time).

10. Eric Bréchemier says:

February 10, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Great tool ! Simply essential as soon as you get this annoying confirmation screen each time you want to send a new mail.

11. Pyroman[FO] says:

February 12, 2006 at 8:12 pm

I’m getting a timeout on my IMAP server after I check the “Remember this mismatched domain” checkbox. If I go into this extension and delete the entry for my server, the timeout goes away but the annoying error message pops up.

This is Thunderbird 1.5, has anybody else seen this?

12. Nil Coronel says:

March 18, 2006 at 10:48 am

Andrew,

Hello. Thank you for adding the Seamonkey support to Remember mismatched domains. It is a godsend. I hope you’ll forgive how long it took for me to acknowledge your work; I didn’t expect you to update it so quickly.