armchair boat construction

As work on the VG23 is halted while I wait out the Montreal winter I find myself turning to others’ boat projects to get my building fix vicariously. I am so grateful that there are some folks out there with some cool boat projects who take the time to blog. Here’s a small list of some of my favourites.

Building a Houseboat – Buddies Dave (”OzzyC”) and Greg are building the GT23 (a cabin cruiser) designed by the good folks at bateau.com (also designers of the VG).

I didn’t mean to but… – Tim Zim is in the midst of converting a fishing trawler into a liveaboard. Tim complains about busting rust the way I complain about sanding. And his “Lady Jane” is 90+ feet!

Ceilydh Under Construction – Evan Gatehouse and family are reconstructing a Woods Meander 40′ catamaran. Any boat project that begins with a chainsaw is okay in my books.

Waterlogged: living on a wooden ship – These folks are living aboard the MV Bowie, a 136 foot former WW II US Navy subchaser, as they renovate her. Something about life on a huge old wooden ship with a hot tub on her stern really appeals to me.

Know of any other projects that I should be following?

1. Steve Wililams says:

January 13, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Andrew, here’s a builder’s site for you.

Cheers, Steve Wiliams

January 13, 2006 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Steve! The Arctic Tern sure is a pretty boat.

3. OzzyC says:

January 14, 2006 at 11:30 am

Thanks for linking to me, and thanks for the new links to explore.

Greg and I are fortunate enough to have a heated area in which to work during the winter, so we’re still making progress. We hope to finish glassing the hull’s exterior today… we may or may not get to the transoms. Then of course, the sanding and fairing begin.

Here’s hoping for an early spring, so you too can get back to work on your project.

Dave

4. Tim Zim says:

January 15, 2006 at 11:36 am

Hi, thanks for the link.

I don’t really complain about the rust busting, but probably go on it about it far too much.It really is a labour of love.

Tim

January 15, 2006 at 6:10 pm

Good point Tim. “Complain” is likely too strong a word. That it is a labour of love really does come through in your writing about it.

6. Angie says:

April 6, 2006 at 1:07 pm

Thank you for the great links. I am really enjoying them as we liveaboard our 30′ sailboat. It makes me feel better about the work we have planned to see the tremendous undertaking these other liveaboards are taking on!!

7. Tony says:

June 5, 2006 at 12:27 pm

A few projects on amateurboatbuilding.com =:-D

Cheers

Tony (Serpentaire fan since the 70s)

8. Ken L Smith says:

September 26, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Nice to have a boat to work on guys, I am in the process of having my ship the “Pacific Express” returned to me after a so called friend fraudulently registered it with the Ministry. If that wasn’t bad enough he and his g/f disposed of almost everything I own including the last remaining pictures of departed family. I only hope some day they become waterlogged.

9. Agueda says:

April 8, 2015 at 5:27 pm

I savor, cause I discovered just what I used to be taking a look
    for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you