outer seams taped

hull turned

Once the turned hull was stabilized I began the process of laminating a second layer of ply to the bottom of the hull. After removing the more than two year old butt blocks I gave the bottom panels a quick sanding. Once I had the panels for the new layer cutout I began mixing and applying the large batches of epoxy and woodflour laminating “slurry”. With the hull completely upside down gluing the panels in place was a pretty easy task. And once again a few haybales came in handy to hold everything in place as the epoxy set.

Next, using my trusty orbital sander and angle grinder I rounded off the outer seams and then applied the fibreglass tape.

outer seams taped

I’ve recently enrolled the services of a guard cat (with lasers for eyes no less) to patrol the hayloft at night. You can see her at her post beneath the hull.

A few more photos in the photoviewer too… New ones start here.

1. OzzyC says:

July 29, 2006 at 8:47 am

She’s coming along nicely.

2. Steve says:

July 29, 2006 at 10:04 pm

New onew start here Link is not working.

July 31, 2006 at 11:30 am

New onew start here Link is not working.

When I call my mechanic to tell him “my car isn’t working” he usually lets out a huge sigh and then asks… “Any particular symptoms?”

;-)

4. Steve says:

August 4, 2006 at 12:53 am

Link is ok now. You cound not see the new pics before.
    BTW she is looking great. Going to splash next year?

August 4, 2006 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Steve. My hosting provider has been having a rough go of it lately so the whole site’s been a little wonky on occasion.

Looks like the (revised again) plan is an ‘07 launch. We’ll see how that’ll work out.

Have you settled on a design?

6. Steve says:

August 5, 2006 at 1:33 am

I will either build the VG26 or buy a used boat. I went for a ride on a 35 footer two weeks ago and it was everything I expected and more. I loved it. Trying to get into a ASA 101 course in MD this fall. (Friday afternoon and all day Sat and Sun, live aboard – $425). If that works out I’ll take the ASA 103 course in the spring. Get through both of those and still want to do it then I’ll break out the check book.

Got a name for her yet?