me and my big mouth

No sooner had I somewhat proudly trumpeted RMD supporting Firefox 2 than an issue emerged.

Symptoms of the problem
Servers that present security certificates with mismatched domains will no longer load when RMD 1.3.3 is installed.

After installing RMD 1.3.3 and restarting the browser for the first time RMD will function as expected, allowing users to add ‘remembered’ mismatches or remembering mismatches stored in an earlier version of the extension. On any subsequent browser sessions however mismatched domains will no longer be load.

Who’s affected
Linux users running Firefox 2 and RMD 1.3.3.

Thunderbird 2 alpha users are also likely affected. This however does not appear to be an issue for Windows users.

By working my way back through the release candidates and betas (on a Ubuntu Linux box) I managed to trace it back to beta 2 of Firefox 2 – beta 1 wasn’t affected.

I am not aware of any problem with version 1.5 of either Thunderbird or Firefox on any OS.

Recommendations
If you are affected by this disable or uninstall RMD 1.3.3.

Another option is to roll back to version 1.2.8 of RMD. Before doing so however, it is important to remember that 1.2.8 was replaced by 1.3.x because of some very annoying flashing of the Mismatched Domains dialog. RMD was basically rewritten to solve that flashing issue and it is those changes that seem to be implicated in this latest problem. You can find a link to the 1.2.8 xpi in this post:

Snarky rhetoric
Is it just me or does it seem like the goalposts do alot of moving in sections of the Mozilla codebase upon which RMD relies?

1. Paul Forsyth says:

December 4, 2006 at 8:14 am

Hi Andrew,

Have you had a chance to look further into this issue? :)

Paul

December 4, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Hi Paul,

I have indeed. I think I’ve tracked it down to a Mozilla problem in how components are registered with XPCOM and filed a bug entry. Unfortunately I can’t find a way to workaround it without going back to the drawing board (again) and coming up with another implementation for the same functionality.

I’m pretty much running Linux full time at home now so am affected by this in a big way too.

Votes for bugs help the Mozilla folk prioritize what gets fixed first… That bug is here:

3. Paul Forsyth says:

December 5, 2006 at 5:53 am

Well done for tracking the bug down. It sounds like it must affect other extensions too or is RMD the only lucky one?

Lets hope the devs get to it soon.

December 5, 2006 at 9:33 am

That’s one of the odd things about this issue. I was able to successfully register (and use) a javascript component for another XPCOM component. Seems to indicate something unique for nsBadCertListener – unfortunately it’s the component RMD implements.

5. jbroome says:

December 6, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Man, i thought i was AdBlocking a squirrelmail page, but it was the RMD plugin acting odd. Glad i thought to look here. I love the plugin, and will eagerly await an update.

Thanks!

December 6, 2006 at 2:25 pm

That’s a good point jbroome. I’ve updated the addons.mozilla.org page with some info on the problem. There doesn’t seem to be a mechanism for flagging an extension for differing version of FF / TB across different OSes.

Sorry you had to do chase it down.

7. Charles Leeds says:

January 24, 2007 at 10:35 am

This extension rocks! Thanks a bunch!

8. T........... says:

January 26, 2007 at 4:40 am

Any update ?

January 26, 2007 at 11:18 am

Unfortunately not in regards to the Linux problems… As far as I’m concerned there’s a mozilla bug and I can’t find a way to work around it. If you haven’t already I’d ask that you vote for getting the bug resolved:

I am hoping to get a “maintenance” update to RMD out soon. It’ll include a bunch more translations and reinstate Seamonkey support.

10. Ron Chayer says:

January 26, 2007 at 12:09 pm

I have downloaded your add on several times. Following the download, the “Restart Firefox” button is grayed out? So I manually restart. The addon appears in the Tools/Addons drop down list but it does not work. I still get the pop up box with the mismatch but the modification to the box has not been made by your add on. Win xp 2/Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1/ Thunderbird1.5.0.9 (20061207).
    Thanks

11. T........... says:

January 26, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Yes, i’m looking forward for new versions, I just voted for the bug but I think it will take some time, they will look forward to it…. :/

January 26, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Hi Ron,

The symptoms are the same in both FF and TB? That’s odd.

When similar symptoms have been reported in the past an uninstall and reinstall (with the requisite restarts in between) has been the fix.

Want to give that a try and shoot me an email if you’re still having troubles.

13. Ashley says:

January 27, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Andrew,

Request for added functionality.

Firstly thanks for a great plug-in that will no doubt slow my descent into insanity.

Just wondering what the chances of being able to match two or more domain names to one certificate server? Currently this doesn’t seem to work (v.1.3.3), with the usual mismatched certificate screen displaying for one of the domains but not the other.

Thanks,

Ashley

14. Etienne Tourigny says:

February 19, 2007 at 5:19 pm

I have the same problem, thunderbird 2 Beta 2 with RMD 1.3.3 using Ubuntu 6.06.

and I got things working just one time with the following steps:

1) I disabled the extension, changed to IMAP, restarted and got my mail
    2) changed to IMAPS, restarted, got the “Mismathced domain” box, got new mail
    3) re-enabled RMD, restarted, got new mail (without the “Mismathced domain” box)
    4) restarted and I can’t get new mail.

It seems that the first time, after disabling and re-enabling RMD, the problem goes away. However, it comes back after closing the application…

oh well, I’ll revert back to Thunderbird 1.5 until this issue is solved!

thanks for the good work. If I can help in any way, please say so.
    Etienne

February 19, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for the details Etienne. If you haven’t already voted for the bug in Mozilla’s bug database then I’d encourage you to do so.

16. Etienne Tourigny says:

February 20, 2007 at 1:53 pm

done! I’ve gone back to the 1.5 version of thunderbird in the meantime. There really aren’t that many advantages to using 2B2 right now… But Firefox 2.0 really is worth it (especially for the spellchecker, which is already in tb 1.5). I’ll try using 1.2.8 for Firefox and see what that does.
    cheers, Etienne

17. andrewlucking.com » rmd hacks says:

February 25, 2007 at 1:33 pm

[...] things first. I’m about to describe a workaround for the remember mismatched domains Linux problem for Ubuntu users but I want to be clear that this is a hack and a “you’re on your [...]

18. Lucas says:

March 4, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Hi, I’ve been using this for about 2 minutes with Thunderbird 1.5 in OSX and just wanted to say THANK YOU! It’s precisely the fix I needed. Best of luck with your patching.

19. Rahul Karnik says:

March 7, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for writing this great extension. Just wanted to let you know that I am having the same problems with Firefox 2 on Mac OS X that you are on Linux. I will vote for the bugzilla entry.

-Rahul

March 7, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Thanks Rahul. It seems we’re slowly running out of supported os’es…

Who said building on this platform wasn’t fun? ;-)

21. theo says:

April 19, 2007 at 5:57 pm

There is now a version of RMD which works on Linux Thunderbird 2.0!! It’s not on addons.mozilla.org yet though.

See the following post:

22. tzblog says:

April 20, 2007 at 3:03 am

[...] of TB and Firefox which will cause issues when this add-on is used. Symptoms and details available here. Details on a workaround hack available here. Don’t be discouraged by the bug, the workaround [...]

23. paul says:

April 23, 2007 at 10:32 am

Hi Andrew,
    I’m running the latest Mac OS X PPC. RMD is one of my most valuable extensions since I prefer T-Bird to the Apple Mail.app (who wouldn’t?). I was using RMD 1.3.4 w/TB 1.5.0.10 and just updated to TB 2 at which point I started having problems, too. The ‘remember this domain’ checkbox never seemed to appear. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the extension, etc without success. So I dumped TB2 and went back to 1.5.0.10 so I could continue to use your extension. I’ll be happy to help test any updates, etc. Feel free to contact me. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do that compile dealio. If you direct me to a ‘howto,’ I’ll be happy to give it shot.

Best regards.

24. work from home ideas says:

May 28, 2014 at 11:55 am

It is a marketing activity in which a business rewards
    one or more affiliates for each prospect or customer referred by
    the affiliate’s own marketing efforts. In a recent survey in the Daily
    Express, more than a third of working mums said they would rather be with their children and give up work if they could, while a majority wished that they could work a shorter week.

Writing copy for brochures, leaflets and newsletters – This type of copywriting harks back to more
    traditional copywriting, and this opportunity can be pursued
    both on and offline.