rmd 1.4

Here we go again. I just posted version 1.4 of the Remember Mismatched Domains extension for Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey.

Yay!
The big news for this release: it works in Linux!

Tux and RMD
(Original Tux design by Larry Ewing, Simon Budig and Anja Gerwinski).

While RMD continues to work as it did before, this update has some fairly significant changes behind the scenes. In order to work around the bug that I’ve been calling “the Linux problem“, I’ve gone from using a Javascript implementation of an XPCOM component to one written in C++. And I mention that here for a reason…

Boo!
RMD 1.4 doesn’t work in OSX.
Update 2007-07-31: See this post for a Mac version of RMD.

I'm a Mac

Now, don’t go getting all weepy just yet. I’m pretty sure all we need to do is get the XPCOM component compiled on a Mac. Unfortunately, I don’t have one. That’s where you come in… A MacBook Pro aughta do the trick – email me for a shipping address ;-) Alternatively, I’ve posted the component source here. If someone wants to take a crack at compiling a .dylib and send it to me I’ll tuck it into RMD. (Though, I’m not sure there’s an intel version of the Gecko SDK yet).

What is RMD?
The Remember Mismatched Domains extension for Firefox and Thunderbird adds a “Don’t warn me again about this certificate for this domain” checkbox to the Domain Mismatch and Expired Certificate warning windows. When selected the domain name and security certificate domain pair (or certificate and expiration date pair) is stored in a Firefox / Thunderbird preference and the security error dialogue will be bypassed on subsequent visits.

The comments section awaits your rants, bugs, problems, praise and more. Oh, and if you were using any RMD hacks, you can probably undo ‘em now.

remember-mismatch_1.4.xpi

1. Tony Freixas says:

March 21, 2007 at 11:00 am

Hi, Andrew,

I posted recently that Thunderbird on Windows XP wasn’t remembering the mismatched domains. I updated to 1.4 and the problem is gone.

Thanks!

March 21, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Excellent. I appreciate the update Tony. Hopefully this latest incarnation of RMD will clear a number of issues.

3. Sy Ali says:

March 31, 2007 at 3:49 pm

Here’s another happy report. Thanks for doing the work to get this bug squashed, and remove the nuisance of the blinking screen.

Can I donate?

4. tzblog says:

April 20, 2007 at 11:35 am

[...] is fixed in version 1.4 of Remember Mismatched Domains available at the developer’s website – here. Thanks for the update and the great extension [...]

5. andrewlucking.com » everything i know about building rmd on a mac says:

May 5, 2007 at 12:00 pm

[...] It isn’t a heck of a lot and some of it may be inaccurate but I’ve heard from a few folks asking for pointers on how to get setup to try building RMD on the Mac. [...]

6. Christefano says:

May 19, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Is Linux support the only change in RMD 1.4? Previous versions work just fine in OS X and I’m unclear why support has been dropped.

May 19, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Christefano,

Yes, Linux support was the only real change in 1.4 (though it meant a significant change code wise).

I’m guessing you were just fine with prior versions of RMD in older (1.5) versions of Thunderbird or Firefox? In which case I’d say you’re cool sticking with RMD 1.3.4.

Just please be sure to uninstall RMD when you upgrade FF / TB.

8. Christefano says:

May 20, 2007 at 2:25 am

Thanks for following up. I was using RMD with Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5 and it worked then as well as it does now (with the equivalent of Nighty Tester Tools in MR Tech Local Install).

I’ll just disable the update check for my copy of 1.3.4. I’m glad I won’t be missing much in the 1.4 version.

Thank you for this extension, and thanks again for clarifying the changes for me.

ps. There’s an unofficial Gecko SDK for Intel Macs at http://www.oxymoronical.com/view/1114 . I’d do this for you but I don’t have time right now to install it (and Xcode).

9. Chris Bryant says:

May 24, 2007 at 1:31 pm

I just wanted to thank you for the plugin and the update to get it working on Linux, it’s much appreciated!
    Chris

10. Delfi_r says:

May 24, 2007 at 3:13 pm

I use RMD a lot as I need it to update my blogs. I use OS/2-eComStation versions of firefox and the new version it’s not installed on it. Perhaps there isa mismatch in the installer taht checks for OSX?

May 24, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Delfi_r,

Does RMD 1.3.4 work on your platform? Or do you suffer from “the Linux Problem” too? If it works for ya there’s no real need to update to 1.4.x…

What version of Firefox? What is the platform string FF references when it fails to install RMD 1.4.x?

12. Dave Driver says:

May 29, 2007 at 8:25 am

Tried to install this on a SPARC but it failed. :-(

Error message calls the architecture SunOS_sparc-sunc.

May 29, 2007 at 8:43 pm

Dave,

What version of Firefox or Thunderbird?

14. Lucas says:

June 30, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Just to add more fuel, RMD 1.3.4 doesn’t play nice with OSX-TBird 2.0.0.4. 95% of the time TB throws an error about not being able to connect to the SMTP server. Disabling clears it up. The other 5% is immediately after re-enabling it, when it presents the checkbox.

Oh, and I’m not using Dreamhost, it’s idig.net. Looks like they’re rolling their own SSLs now too… this one expires in 2037. Other than this one annoyance they’re an awesome host. :-)

July 1, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Hi Lucas,

Version 1.4.5 should work for ya:

16. Mark Mathson says:

July 4, 2007 at 3:38 am

Andrew-

Great Thunderbird Add-on! I just found it and find it very useful.

Thanks

17. stritti says:

July 17, 2007 at 3:55 am

Really useful add-on. Hopefully it will be added to the core dialog in future!

Probably a section to maintain the list in the options/security-dialog would be the completition of this feature.

18. Jonathan Lyons says:

July 18, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Umm… well I HAVE a Macbook and I see an Intel build of Geko SDK for Mac. I’d be willing to try compiling the code and handing it back to you. I am not a programmer, but I am a rather experienced end user. (In summer camp I learned COBOL on punchcards in 1981 and now I oversee 3 web servers.)

RMD would certainly make my life easier, so I’m willing to put in a little time to help.

July 19, 2007 at 7:44 am

Hey Johnathan,

I need to update this post as there has been a Mac version released since it was written:

20. Christoph says:

July 31, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Hi,
    just tried to compile it on my macbook and got an aweful lot of errors. I’m not to familiar with c++, so maybe you take a look at the log:

MacBook:~/Desktop/_xpcom cv$ make
    c++ -Wall -Os -o rmdBadCertListener.so -include mozilla-config.h -DXPCOM_GLUE -I ../../gecko-sdk/include -L ../../gecko-sdk/lib -lxpcom -lnspr4 -lplds4 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -shared rmdBadCertListener.cpp rmdBadCertListenerModule.cpp
    i686-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: unrecognized option ‘-shared’
    cc1plus: error: mozilla-config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from rmdBadCertListener.cpp:27:
    rmdBadCertListener.h:4:32: error: nsIBadCertListener.h: No such file or directory
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:29:21: error: nsXPCOM.h: No such file or directory
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:30:35: error: nsServiceManagerUtils.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from rmdBadCertListener.cpp:31:
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:10:25: error: nsISupports.h: No such file or directory
    rmdBadCertListener.h:15: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
    rmdBadCertListener.h:17: error: ‘NS_DECL_ISUPPORTS’ does not name a type
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:29: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: error: expected identifier before ‘{’ token
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: error: expected `)’ before ‘{’ token
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NS_DEFINE_STATIC_IID_ACCESSOR’ with no type
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘)’ token
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:38: error: ‘NS_IMETHOD’ does not name a type
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:41: error: ‘NS_IMETHOD’ does not name a type
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:44: error: ‘NS_IMETHOD’ does not name a type
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h: In member function ‘int rmdIBadCertHandler::NS_DEFINE_STATIC_IID_ACCESSOR(int)’:
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: warning: left-hand operand of comma has no effect
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: warning: right-hand operand of comma has no effect
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: error: expected primary-expression before ‘{’ token
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: error: expected `;’ before ‘{’ token
    rmdIBadCertHandler.h:32: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp: At global scope:
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:34: error: ‘nsIBadCertListener’ has not been declared
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:36: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘rmdBadCertListener’
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:41: error: ‘NS_IMETHODIMP’ does not name a type
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:56: error: ‘NS_IMETHODIMP’ does not name a type
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:70: error: ‘NS_IMETHODIMP’ does not name a type
    rmdBadCertListener.cpp:85: error: ‘NS_IMETHODIMP’ does not name a type
    cc1plus: error: mozilla-config.h: No such file or directory
    rmdBadCertListenerModule.cpp:1:31: error: nsIGenericFactory.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from rmdBadCertListenerModule.cpp:2:
    rmdBadCertListener.h:15: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
    rmdBadCertListener.h:17: error: ‘NS_DECL_ISUPPORTS’ does not name a type
    rmdBadCertListenerModule.cpp:6: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ’static’
    rmdBadCertListenerModule.cpp:16: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token
    make: *** [build] Error 1

21. Christoph says:

July 31, 2007 at 12:26 pm

sorry, didn’t read to the end…

22. Kees says:

August 25, 2007 at 6:46 pm

when I try to update this extension on Kubuntu (Thunderbird 1.5.0.12) I get the following error:

“Remember Mismatched Domains” could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Thunderbird build type (Linux_x86_64-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.

So hereby I have contacted you. If you need me to compile something on this platform for you, can you e-mail me some detailed instructions. I am not a newbie, but not a C-programmer either.

August 25, 2007 at 8:00 pm

Hi Kees,

The latest version (1.4.5) of RMD should support your 64bit platform:

Note however that the latest version of Thunderbird (2.0.0.6) seems to have broken RMD.

24. John Begin says:

September 5, 2007 at 12:57 pm

I ‘upgraded’ my SeaMonkey to the latest 1.04 security upate and now RMD 1.4 doesn’t work.
    The warning ’security error warning’ comes up even though I have ticked (checked) the ‘Don’t tell me again about this…’

Have I installed RMD or SeaMonkey incorretly, or have those nice people at Mozilla ‘fixed a weakness’ which allowed RMD to work?

(I tried 1.45 and didn’t help.)

Any help would be appreciated.

September 5, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Hi John,

It is quite possible the update has broken RMD – I’ve had reports of RMD not working after the most recent Thunderbird update (2.0.0.6). I’ve been trying to track it down…

Which operating system are you seeing this with?

26. John Begin says:

September 6, 2007 at 3:36 am

Thanks for getting back (I should have said SeaMonkey 1.1.4).

I had seem the comment that the new T’bird had a problem – hence my thought that those nice Mozilla people…

Anyway, I’m on Win XP Tablet edition – latest updates, etc.

Also I installed RMD 1.4.1 on my wife’s Win 98SE with Seamonkey 1.1.4 — that too doesn’t ‘remember’ mismatched names. In both cases, when clicking on TOOLS, REMEMBER… we get a list of the same domain names repeated over and over. So each time we ask it to remember, it is stored in a database but not referred too after that, it seems.

The simplest solution would be for Dreamhost to buy a Certificate from a ‘trusted’ provider. (Of course the issue isn’t a problem with DH’s new email certificate and domain name, but it doesn’t cover webmail or mail boxes.)

Hope you are able to solve this issue,

Thanks,

John Begin.

27. Robert says:

September 12, 2007 at 8:35 am

I’m using linux with icedove mail client. I experienced, like John, the same error with RMD, too :-/

28. John says:

October 23, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Hi,
    Works great, thanks. One question, does this add-on pair a specific certificate from the mismatched domain to the second domain? If the mail server (I’m using it with Thunderbird) renews or changes its certificate, will the add-on notice this? Does it examine the certificate itself, the MD5 hash or the expiration date to compare it with the one saved?

October 23, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Hi John,

Yup, RMD compares both the MD5 and SHA1 fingerprints. And in the case of a domain mismatch it pairs the specific domain the cert is being used for with the domain the cert was acually issued for. More details in this post:

While we’re at it, you may be interested in things to come from Mozilla:

30. Delfi_r says:

October 25, 2007 at 4:37 pm

> Does RMD 1.3.4 work on your platform?

Yes, I use it regularly on every build of firefox that has been compiled since the update. There is no need for the update, but it’s annoying to mark out the update feature.

And now I need on thundebird. It’s 1.34 available now?

October 25, 2007 at 7:28 pm

lol, there must be a five month delay on the line.

I’m not sure I understand your question Delfi_r. I’m tempted to answer yes, 1.34 is still available but you obviously already know that…

32. Dave Driver says:

October 31, 2007 at 6:17 am

Andrew,

I wish I’d bothered to come back and check for a reply after I posted my comment back in May. I’ve been suffering having to accept the mismatched domain manually every day since then. :-(

Yes the 1.3.4 version works for me on Solaris. Thanks for that. Please don’t EOL this version…

Dave.

33. Delfi_r says:

November 7, 2007 at 7:59 am

I was dumb to ask if 1.34 is there to download. Yes it is!, and I ask to you to get it alive as I will announce in a blog entry that it’s available to all OS/2 and eCS customers. In http://www.warpkstop.eu last week I noticed the need to publicize it as many people dosesn’t knew his use.

34. Dave Driver says:

November 7, 2007 at 8:22 am

Oh – spoke too soon. 1.3.4 doesn’t work reliably on Solaris. It remembers the mismatched domain but sometimes doesn’t allow me to connect to it. :-(

Back to square one.

November 7, 2007 at 9:24 am

@Delfi_r. Okay, I understand. I’ll be sure to keep 1.3.4 available from here:

@Dave Driver. Crap. That’s the “Linux problem” we’d talked about. 1.4.x was released to work around the Mozilla bug that was causing it. The challenge is it needs to built on the architecture it’ll be running on… The basic steps mentioned in this post about building RMD for the Mac should apply for Solaris.

The (long term) good news is that RMD should become unnecessary with Firefox 3 & Thunderbird 3:

36. OrenUManus says:

October 2, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Howdy very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing ..

I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?
    I am satisfied to search out numerous helpful info
    here within the publish, we’d like work out extra techniques in this regard, thank you for
    sharing. . . . . .