rmd 1.4.3 – 64 bit linux

That makes two user contributed updates to RMD in a row.

Last week Michael Blakeley worked some compiler magic and sent along a version of RMD’s XPCOM component that works on 64 bit Linux machines. Many thanks Michael!

Another platform supported. I’m still hunting for someone to help out our Mac using friends…

remember-mismatch_1.4.3.xpi

1. Paul Forsyth says:

May 1, 2007 at 5:52 am

Hi Andrew,

Im on a mac now ;)

I can try to help compiling your stuff but i’ll need a little hand holding for what bits i need to have in place in order to even think about starting to compile.

Paul

2. warenhaus says:

May 3, 2007 at 4:40 pm

just wanted to say: it’s a great thing – should be in it by default. I had this domain mismatch for the mailservice I use and wondered: ther HAS tob be someone who wrote an extension… and I was right. Thanks!

3. Jeremy says:

May 7, 2007 at 3:22 am

Well Done, thanks for that. Should be built into Thunderbird as part of the default package.

J

4. Tony Becker says:

May 21, 2007 at 10:27 pm

rmd installs and works great with firefox. I’m getting an error installing with Thunderbird: …not compatible with your Thunderbird build type (Linux_x86_64-gcc3)

Is this just a case of adding this to the manifest? Can you point me to a link that tells me how to download and build this?

Thanks.

Tony

May 22, 2007 at 9:04 am

Tony,

That’s odd. I would expect Version 1.4.3 to install for you in both FF and TB. Here’s a link to specifying a targetPlatform in the extension’s manifest:

I’ve started setting up a formal source repository for RMD source but can’t point you to anything at this point. Really though, the extension is an xpi (zip file format) and the install manifest is an rdf file. If you’re looking for the binary component source it’s here.

I’ll try to poke around a bit to see if I can identify a source of your compatibility problem…

6. Michael says:

May 30, 2007 at 4:43 pm

I noticed the install.js file was missing entries for the 64 bit linuxes, so I added lines for them, but I still get the same error as Tony.

May 30, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Michael,

What version of Thunderbird? What is the OS and version? I’m a little baffled – I know some 64 bit Linux users are successfully running RMD 1.4.3…

8. Michael says:

May 30, 2007 at 11:09 pm

Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.10 (20070302).

Thunderbird’s Help…About… doesn’t say which architecture Thunderbird was compiled for, but yum tells me the only version of Thunderbird I have installed is the x86_64 bit version.

Fedora Core release 6, x86_64, kernel version 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6

I don’t doubt that there are some 64 bit linux users successfully running RMD. I, however, can’t get it to install under this particular OS with this particular version of Thunderbird. I am a software engineer, and I’m willing to help in any way I can.

BTW, I’ve been using RMD under Windows XP for quite some time and would like to thank you for all of your efforts – they are appreciated.

May 31, 2007 at 7:55 am

That’s why I was asking about your TB version and stuff – chase down the deltas.

The error you’re seeing is coming from the targetPlatform values in RMD’s install manifest. Version 1.4.3 uses the following values:

WINNT_x86-msvc
    Linux_x86-gcc3
    Linux_x86_64-gcc3
    linux-gnu_x86-gcc3
    linux-gnu_x86_64-gcc3

As I understand things, TB compares it’s platform string against those values and either installs or errors out accordingly. You could try tinkering with those values in install.rdf found in the RMD’s xpi. I wrote a bit about modifying those values in a comment for the Mac folks over here.

I’ll keep poking around too. Let me know if you make any progress.

10. Michael says:

May 31, 2007 at 8:45 am

Thanks. Will do. And earlier I checked and double checked that the value given in Thunderbird’s error message matched one of the targetPlatform values, and the lines I added to the install.js file, and the directory names in the platform directory.

I’ll check it all again, just to make sure. I may edit the install.rdf file just to remove the white space between XML tags, just in case some unprintable character is throwing the whole thing off.

I’ll let you know what I find out. And thanks again.

11. http://downtownlalaw.com says:

September 26, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Hey there I am so glad I found your site, I really
    found you by error, while I was looking on Digg for
    something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the
    moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time
    I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

12. http://loangible.review says: