i don’t need no stinkin’ extension

RMD history buffs will probably recall that the Remember Mismatched Domains extension was born out of my red-faced frustration with constantly having to accept the domain mismatch when checking my Dreamhost hosted email.

Knowing that, you’ll appreciate how thrilled I was to see that last week Dreamhost made some changes that promised to properly resolve my domain mismatch errors once and for all. No extension required.

I don't need no stinkin' extension

As I was reading through the comments on the Dreamhost post announcing the changes however, my elation soon turned to… I don’t know, I still can’t find words for how ridiculous this has all become.

The bottom line? Uninstall RMD! As of last week, if you’re using a current version of Thunderbird you can now use your Dreamhost hosted email without having to accept a domain name mismatch error each time. Just follow the “Another way to get rid of the Domain Name Mismatch error” instructions on the Dreamhost wiki. (Atleast until Thunderbird is updated to actually comply with the X.509 spec).

The long story? Anybody know the current measurement for irony these days? If it were still measured by the foot I’d say we have atleast 10 feet of irony in this story… From my point of view here’s the lay of the land:

- I wrote an extension that works around a problem in Mozilla’s implementation of the SSL specification.

- Some of the Mozilla SSL folks feel that said extension is just plain wrong as it circumvents the SSL standard and the problem should really be solved by the owner of the SSL certificate.

- When renewing their SSL certificate Dreamhost, (who own the SSL certificate), changed things so that the mismatch is no longer presented – (in current versions of Mozilla Thunderbird).

- Mozilla’s implementation of the SSL specification is wrong and should probably be changed.

- When that change is made, the changes made by Dreamhost will be in vain.

- A bunch of geeks look really intelligent but this shit is still frustrating.

The only proper reaction to all of this? Laugh. (Or if you’re in need of an excuse, drink).

1. Morgan says:

July 23, 2007 at 3:06 pm

I find your extension soooo useful. It should be a standard part of Gecko all email clients.

I am just converting (painfully) to Vista, and have installed Seamonkey and RMD. RMD seems to “forget” mismatched domains every time it shuts down. It could be the Seamonkey 1.1.3 update, or it could be a Vista issue; just curious if you’ve encountered it and/or know where the problem lies.

July 23, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Hi Morgan,

I’ve had a couple of similar Seamonkey issues reported. I’ve been meaning to find the time to install 1.1.3 and do some testing…

In the meantime, you could try version 1.3.4 of RMD which I’m pretty confident works with Seamonkey (though maybe pre 1.1.3) on Windows:

(The 1.4.x releases of RMD they were only updates to get the extension working on Linux and Mac. Meaning you won’t be missing out on any functionality by using an earlier version on Windows.)

3. Morgan says:

July 28, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you sooo much! I was distraught without RMD (added to a number of other Vista/Seamonkey issues).

In case you (or anyone else) finds my experience helpful:
    1.) For Vista, you often need to run Seamonkey (installer or program itself), as “Administrator” as it won’t properly know and ask you when to elevate privileges. I installed regularly (not admin), and it wouldn’t actually register itself as default browser or email (nor would it show on the list of default programs, though Firefox did). I didn’t have to run the install again, but just right clicked the program link and ran as Admin, and this time when it asked if I wanted it to be default, it kept and stored my yes.

2.) Likewise, for a number of extensions, running Seamonkey as Admin to install the extensions seems to fix a lot of problems. I did this to install Mnenhy, and to install the RMD 1.3.4 version you listed above. I don’t honestly know if it was the extension version, or the running as Admin, but RMD remembers again, and I am ecstatic! Thanks again. (also related, Installing the Orbit Icon pack broke SeaMonkey every time, until I ran it as Admin…)

3.) At some point when I get over being so happy to have all my Seamonkey favorites back, I’ll upgrade to RMD 1.4 and let you know if it was the version or the Admin rights that got RMD to play nicely with Seamonkey again. I was worried that the Seamonkey crew had done something to RMD since they think you are “bypassing” the SSL spec, or whatever. They dropped the Junk filter option to instantly delete mail manually marked as Junk, so I was ready to believe they’d run roughshod over almost anything…not that I’m complaining, as I suppose I should just get involved rather than moan about it…

Thanks again for the excellent extension.

Cheerio,
    Morgan

July 29, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Glad to hear you got things running Morgan.

And many thanks for documenting your solution!

5. Dennis says:

August 1, 2007 at 8:36 am

Remember Mismatched Domains -> two years and a million annoying certificate-confirming mouse clicks… no more! Thank you very much!
    Dennis

6. Scott says:

August 4, 2007 at 2:06 am

Does this mean you aren’t going to maintain it anymore?

It’s very handy. And I’m not a dreamhost customer….

August 4, 2007 at 11:41 am

Does this mean you aren’t going to maintain it anymore?

Don’t worry Scott, RMD isn’t going anywhere ’til the broken mismatched domains behaviour is fixed in Mozilla.

8. Dom says:

August 7, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Hi Andrew,

I actually found this article of yours googleing for information on how to stop that “Domain name mismatch” window from appearing every time – can you believe I put up with it for over a year now?

But I found another article as well with a solution that worked for me.

Open the Certificate Manager by going to Tools>Options>Advanced tab>Certificates tab>View Certificates (or in Linux by going to Edit>Preferences>Advanced tab>Certificates tab>View Certificates) and then find the certificate in question in one of the first three tabs and delete it.

You will just have to restart the application and go through the steps of accepting the certificate and confirming the domain name mismatch just one more time.

Since I use a fork of Thunderbird, Icedove v2.0.0.4 (20070622) in GNU/Linux Debian (unstable) environment, let me know if this works in Thunderbird too.

Dom

9. Dom says:

August 8, 2007 at 10:44 am

Pardon my ignorance of the gravity of the problem here – it looks like after you reboot your computer, everything goes back to how it was before – sigh…

So, thank you for this great extension Andrew! :)

August 8, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Hey Dom,

Now that is odd behaviour.

I ran a quick test with an older version of TB on my Ubuntu setup and following your steps of re-accepting the cert with no success. RMD looks like the best bet at this point ;-)

11. Antti says:

August 17, 2007 at 8:23 am

Unfortunately RMD v1.4.5 or older don’t seem to work anymore under Linux and Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. There is the checkbox to get rid of the annoying “mismatched domain”-error, but checking it won’t help. The box comes back next time you start Thunderbird again.

I’ve tried to remove the certificate from TB and reset & re-install RMD. No luck. The box keeps jumping back every time.

Under Windows and OS X RMD still fortunately works like it’s supposed to.

12. evaldas says:

August 22, 2007 at 7:43 am

Yes, I agree that RMD doesn’t work with Linux anymore. This happened since I updated to Thunderbird (IceDove) 2.x on Debian.

August 22, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for the reports Antti and evaldas. I’m seeing the problem in TB 2.0.0.6 as well. I’ll look into it as soon as I can get a chance.

Latest version of Firefox still seems okay. How much ya want to bet that changes in the next update of the browser ;-)

14. Johan Känngård says:

September 17, 2007 at 6:33 pm

I love your extension! I use it on those self-certified certificates (or copies of real production ones) that I use on development and test environments!

15. I can not install on thunderbird says:

September 24, 2007 at 6:11 pm

I have ubuntu on my machine, when I open my thunderbird and the extension manager to install “remember mismached domain” – it opens firefox window which is directed to the extension link – the problem is that when I click this link to save the .xpi file to my harddisk in order to install it from within thunderbird – it does not allow my to save it – but it just install it to the firefox direct.
    What should I do to install it to thunderbird since I need the .xpi file saved first on my machine

16. Martin F. says:

October 11, 2007 at 6:31 am

Thank you very much for this very helpful extension.
    After using it successfully with XP, I would like to use it with Solaris 10/x86 as well. But RMD states on installation, it can not handle Solaris 10/x86.
    Is there any chance that you might produce a platform independent version? (Or at least a Solaris 10/x86 one?). Can I help?

October 11, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately RMD has to implement a binary (platform specific) component in order to work around a bug in Mozilla. For it to run on your Solaris machine we’d need to compile the XPCOM component on that architecture. This has been done for other platforms and *theoretically* it should be simple to do for Solaris 10/x86 too. The big challenge would probably be in getting a compatible Gecko SDK.

If you want to give it a shot I posted a few pointers for compiling RMD on a Mac which should apply for Solaris too:

The source is hosted here:

18. none says:

June 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

Hi,
    When will this plugin be available for Thunderbird 3.1.10? Linux GH-3134MOB 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:52:38 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

“Remember Mismatched Domains 1.4.6 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Thunderbird 3.1.10.”