rmd 1.4.5 – osx remembers

This has been a long time coming.

Michael Baltaks has provided compiles of RMD’s XPCOM components that are compatible with both Intel and PowerPC versions of OSX. Which means that Mac users can once again use the Remember Mismatched Domains extension.

apple logo

I know this is good news for some and I suggest you heap the usual new RMD release praises on Michael. Here I’ll start: Michael, thank you sooo much for quelling the Mac lynch mob that was assembling outside. ;-)

A bit of other significant RMD news is that the source for RMD is now being hosted in Google Code. Now that RMD contains binary components I think that it is important that anyone who wishes to do so is able to easily review the code and compile it themselves if they so wish. This is even more important as those components are user contributed. The RMD project can be found here:

Finally, I think this version of RMD should work with the Thunderbird 3 alpha. (I’ve only tested on my Linux install so it would be great if anyone who tries it could report on their success in the comments).

remember-mismatch_1.4.5.xpi

1. Cla says:

June 5, 2007 at 8:37 am

It works on a PPC mac (iBook G4) on both FF and TB

Thank you a lot!

Cla

2. Jonathan says:

June 5, 2007 at 10:20 am

AWESOME!

Thanks so much!!!

3. Jonathan says:

June 5, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Hmmm

Is there a MacBookPro FF version yet?

June 5, 2007 at 5:48 pm

I’m guessing it’s not working on your new machine Johnathan? Are you getting a “not compatible” error when trying to install the extension? If so could you quote the message for me, specifically the platform string (eg, “Darwin_x86-gcc3″). Otherwise please describe the symptoms a bit more…

5. Jonathan says:

June 6, 2007 at 12:47 pm

How would I determine what platform I’m running? I just entered the mac world last week.

Yes, it’s giving me a ‘not compat’ error…

June 6, 2007 at 1:23 pm

The platform string is mentioned in that ‘not compat’ error. Just quote the entire error message for me…

7. Jonathan says:

June 7, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Oh weird.

I tried reinstalling it and it worked just fine this time.

Great! Thanks :)

8. andreas says:

June 11, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot!

9. Azurite says:

June 12, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Yay, after months of annoying errors, at last, they’re gone! Though I don’t know whether to be worried about how one error changed from my host to server.localdomain.com… Still, RMD works on my Intel Mac! :D Thank you to everyone who helped make this possible for a non-programmer like myself!

June 12, 2007 at 9:12 pm

I’m glad RMD helps you Azurite. Though, if you are seeing unexpected changes with your hosting my recommendation would be check with their support for an explanation. In my opinion changes like those which cause a domain mismatch should not be occurring without you first being made aware of the consequences.

Please, do not use RMD to “remember” a mismatched domain if you cannot trust the certificate being “remembered”. It’s always better to be safe than sorry, right?

11. Azurite says:

June 12, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Well, I managed to *install* RMD, but when I try and put it in action by checking the box, nothing seems to work. Even when I check it, the same error(s) pop up over and over. I will contact my host to see if there’s something up with my mail preferences, though.

June 13, 2007 at 7:22 am

What version of Thunderbird are you using on your Mac, Azurite?

13. Lance Haverkamp says:

June 13, 2007 at 7:56 pm

RMD 1.4.3 is not working on the current Ubuntu Dapper Thunderbird, version 1.5.0.12 (20070604)

RMD 1.4.5 said will not install, invalid hash. A manual delete of 1.4.3 is required to install 1.4.5.

Thanks!

Lance

14. paul says:

June 14, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Looking good! It IS functional on my Intel MacMini in TBird 1.5.0.12 and FF 2.0.0.4. Now I’ll be updating to TB2 real soon. Groovey!

15. Azurite says:

June 14, 2007 at 2:25 pm

I’m using 1.5.0.12 on my Thunderbird. I checked the preferences of the extension, and it sees all the remembered pairs for the various certificates (I’ve been working with my host to make sure they’re legit), so I don’t understand why they end up getting saved and then the error just comes up again. It does the same thing with expired certificates, even if the expiry date is the same.

16. Queen of Suburbia says:

June 17, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Also tried the reinstall with great results!

thanks.

17. Nir says:

June 21, 2007 at 12:55 am

“remember-mismatch_1.4.5.xpi” works fine with Thunderbird version 3.0a1pre (20070620) under Fedora core 6 . I think you can easily publish it at ‘https://addons.mozilla.org/’

18. Mike says:

June 22, 2007 at 12:38 am

Works in a REAL operating system (Windows XP Pro 32bit) perfectly. This is exactly what I was looking for. Great job!

19. Tony says:

June 27, 2007 at 4:36 pm

I’m getting the same hash error Lance was getting when installing v1.4.5 on Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 on my Intel Mac.

20. joe turner says:

July 11, 2007 at 4:44 am

This is the most useful patch in the world, ever! Thank you so so much!

21. disjoint thoughts » Blog Archive » running selenium tests against sites with mismatched ssl certs says:

July 23, 2007 at 5:05 pm

[...] if you’re running FireFox on OS X, check out this blog post or click here to install RMD for FireFox on OS X. Posted by Ben Filed in [...]

22. Scott says:

August 4, 2007 at 8:45 pm

It works! Finally! Thanks!

23. Adam says:

August 31, 2007 at 11:50 am

Thank you for updating this program. It’s a wonderful add-on that saves me 100 clicks a day on my spiffy new mac!

Adam

24. Jonathan Dingman says:

September 5, 2007 at 3:59 pm

Amazing! Worked like a charm.

I finally moved over to a Mac and I was having an issue with this extension in Thunderbird. Not anymore :D

Worked great, thanks!

25. Kees says:

September 18, 2007 at 2:21 am

You advised met to install 1.4.5 on Kubuntu 7.04 64-bit (Thunderbird 1.5.0.13), but I still can’t install it, I keep getting the following error:

“Remember Mismatched Domains” could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Thunderbird build type (Linux_x86_64-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.

Can you tell me what to do about this, if I need to compile from source, can you give me some idea of how to do that, as I am not a computer novice at all, but not a C-programmer either.

September 18, 2007 at 9:30 am

Hi Kees,

I’m not sure what to tell ya. Since version 1.4.3 RMD has supported 64 bit Linux:

I know other users with similar platforms who are running RMD. Are you able to install the extension in Firefox?

27. Fiid says:

October 8, 2007 at 4:12 pm

OMG. This rocks so much. I cannot thank you guys enough. That damned certificate dialog box has plagued my experiences with Thunderbird for the last time!

28. Eric says:

October 8, 2007 at 5:54 pm

RMD works for me on T-Bird+AB 2.0.0.6 under OS-X 10.4.
    Unfortunately, Dreamhost still doesn’t get it. Eventually they might, but until then Andrew is a lifesaver!

29. goofy says:

October 28, 2007 at 6:13 am

looks like i have the wrong os-version for the plugin. system name displayed is Darwin_ppc-gcc3.

October 28, 2007 at 10:26 am

That’s odd goofy. RMD 1.4.5 should install with your OS… That targetPlatform is specified in the install manifest:

You seeing this with Thunderbird or Firefox?

31. seo Luton says:

October 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Good information. Lucky me I discovered your site
    by accident (stumbleupon). I’ve bookmarked it for later!