amazing what a bit of paint can do

‘Cause why should OzzyC and Greg have all the fun… ;-)

I’ve been putting in some serious sander time over the past couple of months and finally managed to get the hull to an acceptable state of fairness. On Friday, I managed to sneak away from the office to sand the “sealer coat” of epoxy I’d applied the previous weekend as well as prep the hull for priming. And yesterday I began spraying the VG23 in the hayloft with the first coat of System Three’s WR-155 primer.

vg23 begin painting primer

After spraying the first cup I decided to try just rolling it on as I was having some spitting problems with the paint gun that I couldn’t solve. Having never used a spray gun before I was a little nervous about getting good results so I’d made sure to have rolling equipment on hand as a “backup”. In the end, I’m actually impressed with how the primer rolls out and plan to finish priming with a roller. Though I’d like to figure out the problems I was having with the gun too – rolling may work for the primer but I’m not sure about the top coat yet…

For some reason a few pigeons have chosen the last couple of weeks to begin overnighting in the hayloft, leaving a bit of mess on the hull for me to clean up before working. Before heading back to the city last night I pulled a tarp over the hull to keep the new paint from being damaged (you can see it lying to the left of the hull in the photo above). The primer was no longer tacky by the time the tarp was pulled over the hull but of course it was still pretty soft. I had a nightmare last night of the tarp becoming glued to the hull. Fingers crossed.

I’ve added a few more photos to the photoviewer too.

1. Steve Scalia says:

July 22, 2007 at 12:08 am

Wow!! The photos look great. The paint looks extremely smooth and professional. Did you “Roll and Tip” for just roll?

July 23, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I only rolled – that System Three primer is pretty forgiving. I’ll probably try roll and tip on the final coat of primer. At the very least it’ll give me a chance to practice with the technique.

I tried a couple of different foam rollers and found that the ones intended for rolling epoxy did the best job. The thicker foam ones tended to leave areas that were too thick, eventually resulting in runs / sags. The only downside to the epoxy rollers is that they tend to take a beating and need to be changed frequently.

3. Dimitris says:

August 1, 2007 at 2:04 am

There is no need to roll-and-tip the primer. Just roll some layers on to create a thick skin. Later you will sand aggressively the primer to achieve a smooth surface for the paint.

August 1, 2007 at 7:17 am

Ahh, sand aggressively I have experience in that department ;-)

Thanks for the tip Dimitris!

5. Dave says:

August 7, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Hey Andrew… I’ve been reading the progress on your VG23. This is better than a novel. Gripping! I am amazed at the amount of perserverence it must take to build this boat.

I’ve been looking around for the right boat for me and my family. I really like the VG23 and the VG18. I think I want to build, however, after seeing the slow process, I don’t know if I’ve got what it takes. What made you choose the VG23 over other plans?

Your boat is looking really sharp. I can’t wait to see more pics, especially pics of the launch.

Dave

August 7, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Hiya Dave,

My first piece of advice would be to not let the pace of the progress I’m making influence your decision to build the VG23. As far as I’m concerned it can, (and probably should), be built in a much shorter time frame. (I have a boat load of excuses for taking so long ;-)

Regarding your question about why this boat… To over simply things I chose to build Jacque’s VG23 because, at the time, it was the largest sailboat he’d designed. If I’d waited a year I’d be fairing a VG26 about now ;-)

Shoot me an email if I can be of more help in your decision making. Regardless, get your family involved in the build and I think it’ll almost be more fun than the adventures you’ll have sailing the boat you build together.

7. Dave says:

August 22, 2007 at 10:26 am

Hey Andrew… how goes the hay loft lady?

August 22, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Slowly but surely Dave ;-)

We flipped her right side up last week. I have to write up a post about that – it was a real adventure…. Lots of pictures too.

9. Tony Wedding says:

September 5, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Hey Andrew,
    REally lookin good!! I have been following your progress since beginning but been awhile since I had posted. I am anxious to see your end result. I remember you earlier talking about possibly adding the extension on the transom similar to what Justin Pipkorn did with the VG20. Have you envisioned any other changes, especially to the interior? Keep up the good work.

Tony

September 6, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Hiya Tony.

I really haven’t been all that creative when it comes to making mods. And at this point I’m seriously considering leaving the interior in a rough state (initially) in an effort to get the boat in the water a bit sooner. The advantage to that would be that I would get a better sense as to how I’d best like to use the limited space. Of course it would also mean running the risk that it never really does get properly finished ;-)

Anyhow, for now I’m going to focus on getting things finished topside and make that call when I have to.

I finally uploaded some photos of the flip if you’re interested.