fdtracer 0.3.2 – flashdevelop 3 b4 compatibility

I just made a quick update to the FDTracer plugin for FlashDevelop. This fix resolves an issue with FlashDevelop beta 4 and selecting FDTracer’s “Settings…” option from the plugin’s context menu.

fdtracer context menu

Along with the revisions to the FD Settings Manager in beta 4 came a couple of API changes so you should only use this version of the plugin with beta 4 (or greater). If you’re still using beta 3 I’d say it’s a good time to update both.

Download FDTracer 0.3.2:

1. flashmech says:

December 5, 2007 at 12:25 am

Hi,

I’ve just installed FD3 Beta5 and tried using FDTracer 0.3.2. After configuring the log file location from FD3, I still could not get any trace outputs in FDTracer.

May I ask if that is a compatibility issue or something wrong that I did? :D

Many thanks in advance. :)

December 5, 2007 at 9:58 am

I missed the beta 5 release announcement but just updated and FDTracer appears to be working with it…

I guess you’re certain the debug Flash Player is installed and configured (maybe you installed the brand new 9.0.115 player too)? If you open the log file in notepad is it being updated?

I’ll poke around a bit more to see if anything needs to be updated for B5 compatibility.

3. flashmech says:

December 5, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Yup it was a fresh installation so I grabbed all the latest, which includes the 9.0.115 debug Flash Player. ;) The log is being updated.

The thing that I noticed is that when the swf is running in FlashDevelop, no traces was found. But if I test the swf in Firefox 2.0.0.11 with FlashTracer installed, the output gets to BOTH FlashTracer and FDTracer.

Stumped. :S

December 5, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Is this an AS2 project? If so, can you check the value of Project > Properties… > Compiler Options > Trace Mode. Try setting it to “FlashMX” and see if it helps.

If I create a new AS2 project with Beta5 the default trace mode is set to “FlashConnect” which prevents traces from making it into the log file. I’m not sure but maybe this is a new default mode for this beta? I think I’ll try going back to an earlier version of FlashDevelop to see how it used to behave…

5. flashmech says:

December 7, 2007 at 3:20 am

hmm.. it’s an AS3 project actually. Will that affect?

December 7, 2007 at 1:54 pm

FlashDevelop uses the Flex debugger (FDB) with AS3 apps so the Trace Mode won’t even be a project option. Typically you should be getting Trace content in the Output pane – without need for FDTracer.

I’ve uploaded a small test project:
    When I Test Movie I see trace statements in FDTracer and FlashDevelop fires up FDB so the output pane looks like:
    Adobe fdb (Flash Player Debugger) [build 166910]
    Copyright (c) 2004-2006 Adobe, Inc. All rights reserved.
    (fdb) run
    Waiting for Player to connect
    Player connected; session starting.
    Set breakpoints and then type ‘continue’ to resume the session.
    [SWF] C:\Andrew\Test\FDTracerTest\FDTracerTest.swf – 1,552 bytes after decompression
    (fdb) continue
    FDTracer Test : Fri Dec 7 17:40:46 2007 UTC
    FDTracer Test : Fri Dec 7 17:40:47 2007 UTC
    FDTracer Test : Fri Dec 7 17:40:48 2007 UTC
    Player session terminated
    [Shutting down FDB]

7. flashmech says:

December 9, 2007 at 11:48 pm

I’ve tested the FDTracerTest file that you attached and the Player seems not able to connect. So sorry to trouble you with this, and I just want to thank you for the help you have rendered.

Build succeeded
    Done (0)
    [Shutting down FDB]
    [Shutting down FDB]
    Adobe fdb (Flash Player Debugger) [build 183453]
    Copyright (c) 2004-2006 Adobe, Inc. All rights reserved.
    (fdb) run
    Waiting for Player to connect
    Failed to connect; session timed out.
    Ensure that:
    1. you compiled your Flash movie with debugging on, and
    2. you are running the Debugger version of the Flash Player.

December 10, 2007 at 10:12 pm

No worries flashmech. I’ve had a few bad Flash Player scenarios around the office lately and have taken to doing a complete uninstall (adobe have a handy uninstall app on the support site) and then fresh re-installs.

9. flashmech says:

December 11, 2007 at 8:09 am

Meaning to say that I have to uninstall the players and install them back again to see if it manages to connect?

December 11, 2007 at 9:44 am

I would give that a shot and see if it helps. It sounds like you have a good install of the debug player plugin in Firefox but maybe the ActiveX player is borked. (FlashDevelop uses the ActiveX of the Flash Player when you do a ‘Test Movie’).

Maybe you could try running that test project in FlashDevelop and Firefox and compare the contents of the swf’s textfield:
    Flash Player
    Version: WIN 9,0,45,0
    isDebugger: true

‘isDebugger’ is true because it’s the debug Flash Player ;-)

11. flashmech says:

December 12, 2007 at 1:57 am

So THAT’s the key! I have no idea that FlashDevelop uses the ActiveX version of the Flash Player to debug! My ActiveX player was a regular, not the debug version. That must be why it couldn’t connect.

I uninstalled the regular, and installed the debug version in it’s place, and it’s working great now. :D

Many thanks! :)

December 12, 2007 at 9:29 am

Great to hear it’s sorted. And with FDB the good news is that for your projects you don’t really need FDTracer ;-)

13. guest says:

December 17, 2007 at 11:00 am

andrew, plz help. I have same problems like flashmech.
    [quote]
    Copyright (c) 2004-2006 Adobe, Inc. All rights reserved.
    (fdb) Waiting for Player to connect
    Failed to connect; session timed out.
    Ensure that:
    1. you compiled your Flash movie with debugging on, and
    2. you are running the Debugger version of the Flash Player.
    (fdb)
    [/quote]

I uninstalled and re-installed but probs are still here.

December 17, 2007 at 12:24 pm

hi guest,

Can you compile the test project here:

When you run that test project the textField in swf should read something like:
    Flash Player
    Version: WIN 9,0,45,0
    isDebugger: true

Note the “isDebugger” line. If it says false you don’t have the ActiveX Flash Debug player installed.

15. Álvaro Obyrne says:

January 19, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Hi,
    In the latest fd version, rc1, when I try to add a class to my project having FDTracer.dll in C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Plugins the following error appears
    Error occured in FlashDevelop. Here are details of the error:
    Unable to cast object of type ‘PluginCore.TextEvent’ to type ‘PluginCore.DataEvent’.

at FDTracer.PluginMain.HandleEvent(Object sender, NotifyEvent e, HandlingPriority prority)
    at PluginCore.Managers.EventManager.DispatchEvent(Object sender, NotifyEvent e)

And when hit continue button the following ‘class’ is created:

package $(Package)
    {

/**
    * …
    * @author …
    public class $(FileName)
    {

public function $(FileName)()
    {

}

}

}
    I understand the plugin was built for earlier versions of FlashDevelop… just wanted to inform you about what happens in current FD release in case you are planning the release of a new version of the plugin (OMG I wish he is planning this release!!!)

16. Álvaro Obyrne says:

January 19, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I hadn’t seen the (your) post from December 12, 2007 at 9:29 am addressed at flashmech, so I went on an installed FDB but the same problem seems to affect that plugin. Thanks for having this space in oder for some of us to cry…:-$

January 20, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Hi Álvaro,

This should cheer you up ;-)

18. Álvaro Obyrne says:

January 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Certainly Master, it sure cheers me up, thanks a lot.