installing windows

One of the things I find so satisfying about this boat building project is being challenged to just figure out how to get a task done. Building and installing the VG23’s windows was a perfect example.

My first step was to pick up some lexan to fit the window holes cut last fall. And using the “universal radius”, (which just happens to come filled with a refreshing beverage), I measured and then cut it to shape with the jigsaw.

shaping lexan for the windows

The first lesson I learned was to cut plastics at a nice slow speed, otherwise things heat up and the blade tends to stick. Combine that with a couple reminders of the “measure twice, cut once” lesson meant that by the time the windows were complete I was on a first name basis with Lynn over at Johnston Plastics.

sealing the windows

My attempts at sealing the windows were turning out to be a frustrating mess until my sister’s fiancee suggested I use the masking tape edging trick pictured above. The key to getting a reasonably clean edge is to remove the tape before the sealant begins to dry.

windows

In between tasks I’ve also been making gradual progress sanding primer.

sanding primer

1. Dave says:

September 17, 2008 at 10:46 am

Andrew… the windows look great! How are things going now? We haven’t seen any updates lately.

September 20, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Sorry ’bout the lack of news. It’s been a bit of a crazy summer and all the little details like the windows seem to eat up so much time. The good news is that I’m going to try to spray the topside tomorrow. Hopefully that will be worthy of a post.

3. Steve says:

June 8, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Ten months and no new pictures? Am I sensing burn out?

June 9, 2009 at 8:39 am

Hey Steve, only if the burn out caused me to post this in the wrong section of the site ;-)

5. NBA 2K15 Review says:

July 21, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I believe that is among the such a lot significant information for me.
    And i’m glad studying your article. But want to statement on few normal things, The website taste is perfect, the articles is really nice
    : D. Just right job, cheers

6. yumna says:

April 25, 2016 at 11:38 pm

You have to put it firmly and tightly so it will save to go anywhere.