paint fumes

To prepare for painting the VG23 I put in the requisite “who knows how many” hours of sanding primer and then erected a bit of a spray tent by hanging an enormous tarp from the hayloft rafters. The hayloft has been the perfect space to build but I was worried about dust and the pigeons that have been hanging about all summer.

On painting day we setup the air compressor on the lawn next to the barn and ran a hose up through the hayloft window. To keep dust down we used a watering can to wet down the floor and then we started mixing paint.

I’m still not sure if my giddiness was due to finally seeing the VG23 with a coat of paint or simply a result of getting a bit too close to the overspray.

spraying the VG23

spraying the VG23

spraying the VG23

1. Dave says:

October 3, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Andrew… that’s a really nice finish! What paint did you use?

October 3, 2008 at 9:21 pm

That’s the Interlux Perfection and I’m still kind of amazed at how well things turned out. The literature says high gloss and they aren’t kidding – all of my fairing “oversights” stand out like a sore thumb ;-)

I do have a few nasty runs to deal with this weekend. I think we went a little heavy with the first coat.

Your FL14 is looking great, Dave. That garage of yours looks way too tidy in the photos ;-)

3. Tim Zim says:

October 6, 2008 at 4:01 am

Looking good!

4. Phil says:

October 12, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Hey Andrew,

Hope your golf swing looks as nice as your boat. Imagine how well you would play if you spent as much time on the course? Money? Bah, it’d be cheaper to maintain a golf habit.

All jokes aside, the boat (name) looks fantastic. Vivian said, “Woah! He’s just a normal guy, right.” Well, Vivian, there’s not much of a debate there. Andrew is not normal.

My next question is… how ya gonna get her out of the loft?

Phil

5. Steve says:

June 16, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Looks like you are ready for the rigging? When do you launch?

Very, very nice paint job.

Steve

June 16, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Yup, I’ve been running the wiring & electrics the past couple of sessions and once that’s done, onto the rigging and hardware. I’d really like to launch by the fall but it all depends on how much time I can get to work at it…

7. Habib says:

November 13, 2010 at 3:14 am

I am an old Vagabond-builder, from Turkey. And I want to say “really your boat looks beautiful”. Congratulations Andrew…! I am sure she will be ready for sailing soon. Good luck.!

November 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Thanks Habib. I’m planning to launch in the spring. Do you have any photos of your Vagabond?

9. http://ow.ly says:

October 13, 2014 at 6:32 am

It is also a savior when you have had your very own hair harmed.
    Natural extensions are manufactured from real human hair.
    And because you can buy these clip-in extensions quite easily,
    you will never have a problem upgrading the looks and styles of your own hair.

10. domain says:

October 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Everything is very open with a very clear description of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
    Thank you for sharing!

11. cellulan boilfish purple says:

October 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Awesome! Its actually amazing post, I have got much clear idea regarding
    from this post.

12. feet displayport latches startech says:

November 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am truly
    impressed to read everthing at single place.